African Development Bank funds Namibia's Transport Infrastructure Upgrade

African Development Bank funds Namibia's Transport Infrastructure Upgrade
© African Development Bank

The African Development Bank Group granted Namibia an almost EUR 187 million loan for the next stage of their Transport Infrastructure Improvement Project.

This loan covers slightly more than half (51.8%) of the project's expenses, while Namibia will shoulder the other 48.2%.

This initiative supports Namibia's ambition to eliminate logistics bottlenecks by 2030 and solidify its trade stance in southern Africa. Key features of this project include building 207 km of railway near the Kranzberg - Otjiwarongo route, 16 new bridges, station renovations, and procuring rails for an additional 518 km of track. Also on the agenda is a tech update for the railway signalling system between Walvis Bay and Tsumeb to enhance reliability and overall efficiency.

Following a past 210 km railway upgrade from Walvis Bay to Kranzberg, this phase will bring the total railway improvements to 417 km.

Having earlier funded the Port of Walvis Bay's container terminal expansion, the Bank continues to bolster Namibia's regional ties by enhancing crucial port and railway systems. This ensures efficient movement of goods and fosters regional trade.

The revamped railway will traverse commercial farming lands and urban zones. As a result, local businesses, farmers, and industries will experience improved transport. Moreover, as freight shifts from road to rail, road upkeep costs are expected to decrease.

Join Our Circle of Insiders: Receive the Weekly Digest That Keeps You Ahead!

Not using RAILVIS Platform yet?

Rent a wagon, sell a locomotive, find a container, convert free capacity to profit. The RAILVIS Platform is the tool you need. It's faster, better organized, and more secure than email or phone calls.

Try RAILVIS Railway Marketplace
RAILVIS screenshot