HHLA takes over majority in Roland Spedition

HHLA takes over majority in Roland Spedition
© Roland Spedition / Raimo Rumpler

The owner of METRANS now also adds another container operator to its portfolio.

Hamburger Hafen und Logistik AG (HHLA) has acquired a majority stake in Roland Spedition GmbH, one of Austria's leading privately-owned container operators for hinterland traffic. HHLA will hold 51 percent of the shares, with the remaining 49 percent retained by current partners Christian Gutjahr and Nikolaus Hirnschall, who will continue to manage the business.

Roland Spedition, founded in 1982 as a joint venture between Austrian logistician Heinz Gutjahr and Bremen-based Roland Spedition, has established itself as a dependable neutral partner for freight forwarders and shipping companies in maritime hinterland traffic. The company, with an annual volume of around 130,000 TEU, is a significant operator in Austria's combined hinterland traffic, contributing to shifting traffic from road to rail, a more environmentally friendly mode of transport. The company operates networks across Central and Southern Europe, linking major seaports such as Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Rotterdam, and Antwerp, as well as Koper and Triest, with the hinterland. It employs about 50 people across two locations in Austria.

Container train at HHLA Container Terminal Odessa (CTO) in Ukraine © HHLA / Thies Rätzke
Container train at HHLA Container Terminal Odessa (CTO) in Ukraine © HHLA / Thies Rätzke

With this acquisition, HHLA intends to integrate Roland's operations with its extensive European network, which includes seaport terminals in Hamburg, Tallinn, Triest, and Odessa, along with intermodal hinterland connections and inland terminals. This collaboration aims to offer clients throughout Europe customized, environmentally friendly transport solutions.

The completion of this transaction is subject to various conditions, including regulatory approvals. This collaboration maintains Roland Spedition's role as a neutral and reliable partner in the market, ensuring long-term prospects for the company, its customers, and its employees.

Join Our Circle of Insiders: Receive the Weekly Digest That Keeps You Ahead!

Not using RAILVIS Platform yet?

Rent a wagon, sell a locomotive, find a container, convert free capacity to profit. The RAILVIS Platform is the tool you need. It's faster, better organized, and more secure than email or phone calls.

Try RAILVIS Railway Marketplace
RAILVIS screenshot