Mercitalia Logistics and MEDLOG form a new intermodal joint venture

Mercitalia Logistics and MEDLOG form a new intermodal joint venture
© Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane

Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane (FS) and MSC Group will commonly enhance freight transport logistics between Italian and European ports.

The new joint venture will see Mercitalia Logistics, a subsidiary of FS, holding a 51% share, and MEDLOG, part of the MSC Group and a specialist in intermodal transport and logistics, owning the remaining 49%. This venture will focus on designing, building, and operating new cargo terminals at sites controlled by both groups in Italy.

Sabrina De Filippis, CEO of Mercitalia Logistics, says: “The agreement is part of the initiatives envisaged in our Business Plan, strengthening existing terminals and creating new technologically advanced and low- low-environmental impact multimodal hubs. This will enable us to increase the volume of goods transported by train, thanks to the increasingly effective connection of our ports and terminals to the national network and European railway corridors, consolidating the integration of sea-rail-road transport systems.”

This agreement follows a previous one signed last year, laying the groundwork for a potential commercial and operational partnership aimed at developing combined maritime transport. The new collaborative efforts will increase terminal capacity and offer a competitive and more sustainable alternative to long-distance road transport, particularly on routes between Italy and Northern Europe.

Giuseppe Prudente, Chief Logistics Officer of the MSC Group and President of MEDLOG, adds: “This important agreement is the result of a project that began with the ambition of creating one of the most important operators in Europe, offering customers optimised and ever more sustainable logistics solutions.”

Do you wish to receive similar articles to your email?

Not using RAILVIS Platform yet?

Rent a wagon, sell a locomotive, find a container, convert free capacity to profit. The RAILVIS Platform is the tool you need. It's faster, better organized, and more secure than email or phone calls.

Try RAILVIS Railway Marketplace
RAILVIS screenshot